Origami’s next deadline is November 1 for our Fall/Winter 2017 issue.
Interested in submitting your writing or photography to Origami Journal? Great! Here’s what you need to know:
1. Short Stories: We accept short stories, both fiction and non-fiction, that are unpublished and do not exceed 2,000 words. We accept all genres except children’s (including Young Adult) and erotica. Screenplays, plays, and poetry are not accepted.
Photography: We accept original photography that has not been used elsewhere for publication. We’re open to pretty much anything that tweaks the imagination, but are not interested in photographs of a pornographic nature.
Photographs that feature people must have signed releases.
2. How to Send Us Your Work: Please send all work to email@example.com. We do not accept submissions through postal services. Your manuscript must be in one of the following file formats: doc, docx. Your photographs must be sent as JPGs and set at a resolution of at least 300 dpi. We accept pieces internationally, but ask that all stories be sent in English. When submitting your short stories, please specify in the subject line whether it is fiction or non-fiction.
3. Formatting Your Manuscript: All manuscripts should be in 12-point type, double-spaced, with at least one-inch margins, and sequentially numbered pages. The author’s name, address, telephone number, and email address should be typed at the top of the first page. Contributors are asked to include a brief biographical note with their submissions. Word Count: Manuscripts, both fiction and non-fiction, should not exceed 2,000 words.
4. Timing: While submissions may be sent to us year-round, we do have an editorial calendar that may sometimes propose seasonal themes. If you would like your photography to be considered for the cover of an issue, please take a look at the editorial calendar and let us know which season your photography would reflect. Please allow us 30 days to respond to your submissions before inquiring about them.
Spring/Summer Issue Deadline for Submission: May 1st
Fall/Winter Issue Deadline for Submission: November 1st
5. Simultaneous Submissions: We don’t mind simultaneous submissions, so long as you alert us promptly if the piece is picked up elsewhere (and that you let everyone else know if we took it). However, we do mind multiple submissions attached to the same email. Please send us each submission separately.
6. We only accept unpublished, original work. We hold first- and one-time rights only. Once we have published your work, you are free to do whatever you want with it. For more information on publication rights, please visit our Guidelines page.
7. If your work is selected for publication, you will be informed via email. While we do our best to let you know of your work’s publication in a timely fashion, due to time constraints we cannot offer feedback on individual pieces.
8. At this time, we are unfortunately unable to offer financial compensation for published works. What we can offer is promotion of your art to our steadily growing readership.
9. Please don’t be discouraged if your work does not make it into a publication! We personally look at each submission, and encourage all writers and photographers to continue to send us their work. There’s nothing we love more than discovering and helping to promote new talent.
Other questions? Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we’ll be happy to answer them.
We thank you for your interest in Origami Journal, and look forward to reading your work/being exposed to your photographs!